JOB TITLE: Smokehouse Technician
REPORTS TO: Smokehouse Manager
SUMMARY: The primary purpose of the Smokehouse Technician is to operate and monitor all smokehouse processes. The role of the Smokehouse Technician is to ensure the product is cooked in a safe and efficient manner to the highest possible quality.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Follow good manufacturing practices (GMP) and HACCP training, along with company SOP’s and SSOP’s.
- Load and unload product into and out of ovens.
- Set oven controllers to correct program indicated in product specifications.
- Complete documentation at required intervals according to company practice.
- Monitor oven cycles and product through testing samples.
- Perform various tests at required intervals such as PH, water activity and internal temperatures on in-process and finished product.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized work area.
- Work to increase efficiencies and product quality.
- Works with off-racking to ensure trucks are rotated to processing.
- Report detected inconsistencies to quality assurance personnel, supervisors or managers.
- Maintain smoke generators (clean and adjust) control wood chip level.
- Assists in processing, off-racking and packaging when needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Some shifts will perform sanitation functions for the smokehouses and will require chemical training and the use of PPE gear.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), no prior experience necessary.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to be dependable and maintain regular attendance.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and cautions.
- Ability to perform the physical labor necessary.
- Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person.
- Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, balance, bend, stoop, crouch and talk and hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move 30 pounds, and occasionally move carts/gondolas full/empty on wheels weighing up to 700 pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, temperature vary from 30 to 120 degrees; Minimal risk of electric shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to very loud.